Saturday, April 3, 2010

Landscape speed sketch


5 mins_____________________________________________-10 mins

20 mins_____________________________________________-30 mins

I spent about 30 to 40 mins on this painting. I'm just trying to learn landscape as best I can. Which means I'll be posting (hopefully) a lot more of these kind of sketches.

They are going to be very under developed because 30 mins is just clearly not enough time to fit everything I can. The main idea isn't to have a realistic looking landscape but to achieve for my self a very loose style that signifies my technique of painting.

Munin, who is a talented artist (who is found here http://munin-sketchblog.blogspot.com/ ), has given me tips on how to manage my brush strokes and colours. Thank you Munin. Btw, I tried very hard to stick with only one brush throughout this piece, towards the end I added a few texture brushes for effect.

Here are my steps, like mathematics working out :P

2 comments:

  1. Haha... you are too kind. Just remember I'm only a beginner myself. ;) Anyway, I like how you are experimenting with foreground elements, they are a good way of pushing depth of field. The rule of three, or odd numbers, is in place with the rock spires so the mound to the left might benefit from a low opacity pass to sink it back a bit into the background. The two diagonal lines that break up the ground are a good choice and help lead the viewer. Oh, and I read your email yesterday and will get back to you over the Easter weekend. Hope this helps, and keep at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Munin! Yes, yill look forward to your next email and it's great that you're helping me. Have a Great Easter!

    ~ McQueen

    ReplyDelete